[Ocaml-biz] Presentation vs. actual size

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Sep 11 11:58:33 PDT 2004

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Incidentally, the more I think about how much sheer software has to be
> written to popularize something, the more correct I think I was when I
> said, it'll be 5 years before OCaml is as popular as Python is
> currently.  And, there's nothing we can do about this, it's the
> strategic reality.  What we *can* do, is ensure that OCaml
> has a growth
> path and actually *does* become popular in the future.  As opposed to
> becoming a 'coulda been' language.

It also occurs to me that we can *present* OCaml success stories much
better than Python does.  Python's got the meat and potatoes, but they
aren't slick about how they present 'em.  Slickness could amplify our
apparent size and have an accelerating effect upon OCaml adoption.  Now,
if only we were all web designers instead of techies.

We should be looking to http://www.java.com and http://www.apple.com for
models of how to present.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.