[Ocaml-biz] I'm sold on Eclipse

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Sep 11 17:50:31 PDT 2004

That took about 5 seconds.  I haven't even used the thing.  Why am I
already sold?  Because the initital entry screen is nothing short of a
totally slick HTML help "How to get started" thingy.  I've never seen a
tool make such a deliberate and conscientious effort to tell the user
"everything's gonna be ok."  I talked about making a website to try to
convince Visual Studio people to move to GNU Emacs.  Well, Eclipse *is*
its own 'website'.  The sales pitch could not possibly be made any more
slickly than the standard Eclipse install.

I didn't click how to get started with Java.  I clicked on "Team
Support."  BOOM, it's telling me it fully incorporates CVS and my days
of futzing with WinCVS are *over*.

This is the slam dunk IDE for converting Visual Studio and Java users to
OCaml.  That is, people who have no interest whatsoever in the 'RTFM'
learning curve of UNIXy tools.  If it turns out to be too slow or warted
or broken somewhere, well then that just needs to be fixed.  The
marketing infrastructure of this thing is pure gold.

Ok, uuuh, now I'll find out what the damn thing does.  I'm a little
chagrined that it doesn't obviously explain to me how to *operatively*
access CVS, it just went on and on about CVS.  Maybe it's nicely put
together and I'll see soon enough.  Could be that by jumping immediately
to that issue, I skipped an explanation in the main beginner's section.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.