[Ocaml-biz] linear algebra libraries

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Mon Sep 13 08:46:04 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Speaking of which, one really should look at all the entries under the
> HUMPS before going to town on this sort of thing.
> http://caml.inria.fr/humps/caml_Mathematics.html  What are they not
> accomplishing?  Or do they do the "move on from BLAS/LAPACK" job just
> fine, and they're just not well marketed?

Only three- CamlFloat, LACAML, and ocamlgsl- are anywhere close to being
what I'm thinking of.  And all three (IIRC) are basically wrapper
libraries to C based BLAS/LAPACK implementations.

> Brian's LA package idea is far too huge a project for ocaml-biz to
> undertake.  We don't happen to all be linear algebra experts.

I agree.  I never understood that by signing up to this mailing list, I
was enlisting to work on any project other than "making Ocaml more
popular".

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian