[Ocaml-biz] collective action, or not?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Mon Sep 13 14:17:00 PDT 2004

I am rapidly accumulating projects I personally could put my energy
into.  An OCaml-ization of the Nebula2 3D engine, and beefing up Eclipse
support, are the obvious ones for me.

What I'm not sensing, however, is any kind of collective will / interest
on ocaml-biz for any particular plan of action.  We've given ourselves
until Oct. 1st to come up with a plan.  The stated goal is to create a
toolset for showcase projects in some market, building upon existing
tools.  If I had to place bets today, I'd say we will fail to meet the
deadline.  I don't sense any political will to take collective action.

I think it's mostly just Brian and myself ping-ponging about our pet
projects, with Tony interjecting to step back and state courses of
action.  I will shut up for awhile and see what happens.  There's
certainly enough on the table for people to discuss tangibles,
deliverables, or interim findings - such as the worthiness of the
various OCaml Signifcant Applications.  I'm afraid we're going to hear
crickets chirping, however.

I do think we're better informed about how we could direct our personal
contributions, and what their strategic impacts might be.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.