[Ocaml-biz] F#

Steve Taylor staylor at uidaho.edu
Mon Sep 13 15:07:07 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:32:10 -0700
"Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at indiegamedesign.com> wrote:

> From a business standpoint, what can F# currently do and not do?  Can
> it be part of an overall strategy, or is it not so compatible / not so
> fast/ not so hot for native code?

I played with F# when it first came out.  I was excited because I wanted
to be able to use DirectX directly.  At the time I wasn't too impressed
(I honestly don't recall why).  Microsoft Research reminds me a lot of
the open source community sometimes.  They put out a lot of really
interesting stuff, but it isn't necessarily usable for the "real world"
yet.

After taking a look at their site, it appears a new version (0.7) is due
out.  If you look at the draft of the changes, there are a lot of
improvements in the works.  Something relevant to this list:

18. Support for commercially use by permitting deployment of the F#
library if it is statically linked into an application.

I don't think I'll give F# another look until 0.7 is released.

		-Steve