[Orca-dev] Re: too many open files issue

Adrian Bhatt adrian1978b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 13:47:01 PDT 2001

Ok, doing some more reasearch...

right now I am using a ulimit of 4096 set in a shell
script that runs "orca -o configfile" I am setting it
with "ulimit -n 4096" I am confirming that it is
properly set by running "ulimit -n" to print the
current value. It is set right.

So now I wanted to watch the number of open files
climb as the perl script runs. It hovers between 15-40
open files as it reads the data files and writes the
rrds all the way through writing the png files. When
it begins to write the the html files it begins
climbing to upto 256 and then complains as it is
trying to write the temporary .htm files that there
are too many open files.

Is there a 256 limit on the number of open files
within orca?

Looking at the output of pfiles <pid> the ulimit is
set properly at 4096. But the process still has
issues. Doing some simple greps I can't seem to find a
256 limit, but then I haven't looked real hard.

I tried changing the constant in OpenFileHash.pm that
limits the number of open data files to 100 but that
isn't helping because it doesn't seem to be an issue
with the number of data files.

Off to more poking but any father assistance would be
helpful. Tonight I'll post my sample web page and
config file at some url.

Thanks

--- Blair Zajac <blair at gps.caltech.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> If this doesn't work, then can you try running Orca
> with just one
> host instead of 6 and put the HTML pages up for
> viewing so I can
> take a look at them.
>
> At this point, put the scripts up on your site with
> some example
> plots, that's the best way.
>
> Regards,
> Blair
>
> Adrian Bhatt wrote:
> >
> > I searched the archives and some some discussion
> > having issues of too many open files. Most of
> those
> > issues were solved by increase the file descripter
> > limit from something like 64 to 128 or 256. We
> started
> > our file descripter limit at 512. All was working
> > really well. Last night at the request of certain
> data
> > from the business we added some plots detailing
> some
> > more information about different file system
> usage. So
> > I set up the plots at let orca munge through all
> the
> > data, to my dismay I came back an hour later to
> find
> > error messages like the ones below. So I did some
> math
> > and figured that at 6 servers, the normal plots,
> as
> > well as a plot for each file system (40 per box)
> that
> > the number of files (html/png/meta) that orca
> would be
> > creating was reaching into the thousands. So I
> > increased the file descripter limit to 1024. Still
> no
> > good. Then to 2048. Still no good. Then to 4096.
> When
> > it failed at this point I began thinking something
> is
> > wrong. I started looking through the code mostly
> at
> > HTMLFile.pm then how it was called. I am a little
> > confused about how you open files then how they
> get
> > closed, but that is probally because I only spent
> > about 20 minutes looking through it. Is it
> possible
> > there is some sort of leak that under X condition
> it
> > doesn't close some file handle right away? If so
> were
> > should I start looking for such a leak?
> >
> > We have also created some scripts which create
> data
> > files for various peices of equipment to feed into
> > orca. Is there a place to publish such scripts or
> > should I publish them on my site and send a link
> > the user list? Just wondering how to give back to
> the
> > community.
> >
> > Thanks again for any help. It would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > /opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot create

`/opt/orca/data/e10k/html/o_mntC_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntU_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntA_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p-monthly.html.htm'
> > for writing: Too many open files.
> >
> > /opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot create
> > Orca::HTMLFile object: cannot open

`/opt/orca/data/e10k/html/o_mntC_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntU_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntA_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p-quarterly.html.htm'