[Orca-dev] Re: too many open files issue -> found it

Adrian Bhatt adrian1978b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 14:19:45 PDT 2001

I am using perl 5.005_03 that comes with solaris8. It
turns out that the perl binary I am using will only
open up 256 files. I determined this with

#!/usr/bin/perl

use FileHandle;

for ($i=0;$i<2048;$i++){
        $fd[$i] = new FileHandle;
        $fd[$i] -> open(">$i") or die "stopped at: $i:
$!\n";
}

When I ran this same script on a version of 5.6.1 that
I compiled it would run all the way up to the ulimit.

Would there be an easy way to check this limit in perl
and manage file descripters appropiatly?

Bob

--- Blair Zajac <blair at gps.caltech.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> If this doesn't work, then can you try running Orca
> with just one
> host instead of 6 and put the HTML pages up for
> viewing so I can
> take a look at them.
>
> At this point, put the scripts up on your site with
> some example
> plots, that's the best way.
>
> Regards,
> Blair
>
> Adrian Bhatt wrote:
> >
> > I searched the archives and some some discussion
> > having issues of too many open files. Most of
> those
> > issues were solved by increase the file descripter
> > limit from something like 64 to 128 or 256. We
> started
> > our file descripter limit at 512. All was working
> > really well. Last night at the request of certain
> data
> > from the business we added some plots detailing
> some
> > more information about different file system
> usage. So
> > I set up the plots at let orca munge through all
> the
> > data, to my dismay I came back an hour later to
> find
> > error messages like the ones below. So I did some
> math
> > and figured that at 6 servers, the normal plots,
> as
> > well as a plot for each file system (40 per box)
> that
> > the number of files (html/png/meta) that orca
> would be
> > creating was reaching into the thousands. So I
> > increased the file descripter limit to 1024. Still
> no
> > good. Then to 2048. Still no good. Then to 4096.
> When
> > it failed at this point I began thinking something
> is
> > wrong. I started looking through the code mostly
> at
> > HTMLFile.pm then how it was called. I am a little
> > confused about how you open files then how they
> get
> > closed, but that is probally because I only spent
> > about 20 minutes looking through it. Is it
> possible
> > there is some sort of leak that under X condition
> it
> > doesn't close some file handle right away? If so
> were
> > should I start looking for such a leak?
> >
> > We have also created some scripts which create
> data
> > files for various peices of equipment to feed into
> > orca. Is there a place to publish such scripts or
> > should I publish them on my site and send a link
> > the user list? Just wondering how to give back to
> the
> > community.
> >
> > Thanks again for any help. It would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > /opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot create

`/opt/orca/data/e10k/html/o_mntC_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntU_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntA_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p-monthly.html.htm'
> > for writing: Too many open files.
> >
> > /opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot create
> > Orca::HTMLFile object: cannot open

`/opt/orca/data/e10k/html/o_mntC_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntU_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p,o_mntA_per_mkt_per_app_per_dqmgr_p-quarterly.html.htm'