[Orca-dev] Orca and Windows

Tony van Lingen tony.vanlingen at epa.qld.gov.au
Wed Aug 27 16:59:12 PDT 2003

Hi,

oh, Wintel = Windows? In that case, we've been charting it for several
months now using a home-brewn Netsaint plugin that uses the NSClient
software to read perfmon data remotely. It gives us direct warnings
(through Netsaint) and produces orca-readable output.

The problem with this is that the perfmon counters do not always seem to
reset as expected, and as Jon A. Tankersley pointed out, the counters
don't have consistent names across different systems. We solve that with
a configuration file for each system that is monitored, so that NSClient
won't try to query non-existent counters.

We use a similar thing to chart Oracle databases. This solution suffers
very much from the same problem as the disk usage graphs: whenever a
tablespace/schama/etc is added, removed, renamed, a new chart appears.
Otherwise it works fine.

Would this be a disirable addition?

--
Tony van Lingen
Technical Consultant

Disclaimer

This e-mail, including attachments if any, has originated from a Queensland government agency and may contain information that is confidential, or covered by legal professional privilege, and is intended for the named recipient(s) only.  If you have received this message in error, you are asked to inform the sender as quickly as possible and delete this message and any copies of this message from your computer system network.

Any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail, including attachments is prohibited.  Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail, including attachments represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all possible viruses have been detected and cleaned.  Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.