[Orca-dev] TCP connections per-process via workollator.se

kim.taylor at pncbank.com kim.taylor at pncbank.com
Thu Jan 9 14:21:43 PST 2003

Can the SE Toolkit access TCP connections on a per-process basis like lsof?
See <http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu/~abe/> if unfamiliar with lsof.

I would like to extend workollator.se to include a count of open TCP
connections per-workload.

Seems l could rather simply merge workollator.se logs with output from
lsof, but that's more overhead than I want to deal with if it's available
directly from se.  (Maybe this inquiry requires a lot of overhead in any
case?)

Here's an example of what I'm after using lsof:

$ lsof -i TCP |
  awk '/TCP.*ESTABLISHED/{print $3,$1}' |
  sort |
  uniq -c |
  awk 'BEGIN{print "USER","COMMAND","TCP-ESTABLISHED"}{print $2,$3,$1}'

USER      COMMAND   TCP-ESTABLISHED
advusr2   ns-httpd       16
cnbusr         ns-httpd       3
esfusr         ns-httpd       4
ethusr         ns-httpd       2
pdausr         ns-httpd       3
root      snmpmagt  3
root      ssh1      1
root      sshd1          24
vssrcb         tmd       2
xapatrol  PatrolAge 3

I'll probably want to record other TCP connection states too, but you get
the idea(?)

KET

Kim.Taylor at pnc.com

P.S.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone trying to merge workollator.se
logs into Orca -- I started with Adrian's examples, but found it rough
going.  I've scaled back a few things to better fit the local environment.
I've got a monitor in place and began harvesting data in an Orca-friendly
format in-line/no post-processing (easier said than done.)  I have a ways
to go in designing the Orca config file/graphs.  It looks like gnuplot may
be easier to get going initially for a peek at the data.