[Orca-dev] Question: Values for webserver monitoring

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed May 7 11:21:42 PDT 2003

B.Schopp at gmx.de wrote:

> Hi Blair, Sean,
>
> i`m currently working on the realisation of webserver monitoring with
> procallator.
> Which values are needed / how should they be combined?

Hi Burkhardt,

Just try to be as consistent as possible with orcallator's data
measurements, so we can use the same orca configuration file
sections.

> Actually, i collect these values:
> - dwnld_size[0-4]    (as in orcallator used for perc. of filesize)
> - dwnld_totalz         (used for bytes/s)
> - httpop_gets
> - httpop_posts
> - httpop_condgets
> - http_errors
> - # of webservers
>
> Special question regarding the hits/s: Must the vars httpop_* counted in
> total or
> would it be enough to use just the httpop_gets as hits?

It should count all of them, unless orcallator.se does it wrong and double
counts the hits, in which case orcallator.se should be changed.

At GeoCities, knowing the real number of hits was an important number to
know, irrespective of the types of hits they are.

> If i get the time within the next few days and everything works in the way
> it should,
> the addon should be ready by end of next week (incl. testing).

That's great!  Looking forward to the contribution.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/