[Orca-dev] Apache on Linux

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 13:34:42 PDT 2003

Neculai Macarie wrote:

> I've modified the procallator script to gather data from the apache web
> server under Linux. I tested it on RH7.3, RH9.093, Debian Woody with Apache
> 1.3.x and Apache2. If there is interest in it I can post the patch. The data
> is gathered with the help of the status module
>  http://localhost/server-status) because I could not find a way to retrieve
> the data directly from the server.
>
> I'm also working on gathering data from ColdFusion server (CF5 and CFMX
> 6.1). If there is interest I can post the patch for that too.

I would love to see that.  It was on my "todo" list.

I've also added some funtionality to procallator.  Not too long ago I
installed a package called lm_sensors on my RH9 system.  This allows me
to monitor the motherboard and cpu temperatures, voltages and fan
speeds.  There is a command line interface called sensors that reports
back on what they values are.  I added code to procallator (and the orca
config file) to collect this data and provide the graphs.  I'd be glad
to post a diff file if other are interested.  They can be seen at
http://www.dennett.org/procallator/orca.

However, there are some caveats.  The output of the sensors command is
highly configurable in terms of the labeling of the output lines.  My
code parses for the particular labels I use.  I could have it get the
raw data from files in /proc like most of the other data procallator
collects.  But, the data must be put throught some mathematical
manipulations that will vary from sensor chip to sensor chip.  These are
included in the sensors config file.  The config file includes a bunch
of sensor chips and the command figures out which one to use.  I'd have
to come up with perl code to parse the config file to figure out what
chip was used and find the correct lines in the config file and deal
with them appropriately.  I was too lazy to do this in my first attempt.

But, for whatever it's worth, I'd be glad to supply what I've done.

Charlie Dennett