[Orca-users] Interesting questions

prasadjlv at yahoo.com prasadjlv at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 06:01:56 PDT 2001

Howdy folks,

I have a feq questions about orca's features since we plan to bundle
it as a standard perf. monitoring tool for our app.

My setup is as follows:
Solaris 7
SE Toolkit 3.2
Orca 0.27b1
orcallator 1.28b5
perl 5.005_03

My questions are:

1) Can I use it to for general perf. monitoring on a day-to-day basis
(interval = 300 seconds) and also for monitoring when I stress test
the machine (interval = 30 seconds). One possible way could be to
have 2 separate orcallator.cfg & .se files and running 1 orca
continously and running the other as needed. Will my interval = 30
seconds skew my perf. results since orca is CPU and I/O intensive
when gets it data from percol... files? Based on the answer to the
above question, I may just set the interval to 30 seconds and let it
rip.

2)  Can I use it to generate plots during a specific duration? For
example: orca -start_time 10AM -end_time 11AM

3) Has the defunct processes bug been fixed?

4) Why does Orca update some PNG's at random? I always seem to have a
problem with the load avg.

5) Can the size of the plot be increased?

Thank you,
--prasad