[Orca-users] uptime graph modified - keeper ?

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Wed Apr 30 10:08:07 PDT 2003

At 10:49 AM 4/30/2003 -0500, Sean O'Neill wrote:
>At 09:53 AM 4/29/2003 -0500, Mukherjee, Gautam  (CAP, FLEET, TCS) wrote:
>>Hi Sean
>>
>>Can I get help from you to setup this monitoring tool at me office.
>>
>>How should I go about it.
>
>Well, the first place to start is downloading the current package at:
>
>http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/orca-0.27.tar.gz
>
>You'll notice some 0.27b# packages as well but these are BETA type
>distributions.  0.27 is the most current.  Then unbundle it and read the
>INSTALL document that is in the top most directory.
>
>The document is broken up into two sections.  Both sections say the same
>thing it just the first section is a executive-level type summary layout
>e.g. it gives simple steps.
>
>The second section discusses each step with lots of good detail.
>
>So I would suggest you start there on a single system in a non-production
>type environment.

One more thing ... the INSTALL document says for step 10 that its for
"Solaris Only and Optional".

In many ways, this is true but for a first time user its also very
confusing.  On a Solaris system, you need to install the SE toolkit when
gathering system perf stats to get the graphs you see on the Orca example
page - so on a Solaris system its kinda NOT optional.

Orca is actually two pieces:

- A data collector
- A grapher

The data collector can technically be anything as long as the resultant
data is recorded in a specific layout.  For Solaris system perf statistics,
this is the SE Tool kit and the orcallator.se script.

The grapher reads in the data stored by orcallator.se (or any other data
collector) and processes it into RRD DB files.  Then graphs are generated
from the RRD files.  This is Perl (with several Perl modules) and
orcallator.cfg.

This is kinda what step 10 is referring to.  On a Solaris system, you can
install Orca and use your own data collector without the using SE Tool
Kit/orcallator.se if you want.  Of course, you will have to create your own
data collector from scratch.

--
Sean O'Neill