[Orca-users] Orca for AIX

Rajesh Verma Rajesh.Verma at PalmettoHealth.org
Tue Apr 6 11:34:08 PDT 2004

Hi David,

Network Statistics: As I remember I stopped using that due to some isuue, may be it was the same issue. So I am using MRTG for network statistic using snmp.

Disk wide transfer rate: It working fine for me.. hmmm but wait a min there are few server which are showing 150G transfer rate.. those are AIX 5.2 server .. I have to look into this.

For TSM : I run this script only on the TSM server, yes user/password can be put into configurable parameter.
and for user/password as view , we have setup this for us, it shuld be changed as per your user/password.
"query mount" should show the drive mounted. query cmd should work. you got to check.



>>> "David Michaels" <dragon at raytheon.com> 4/6/2004 1:25:01 PM >>>
Rajesh --

I've tried out your scripts, and they seem to work pretty well, but 
there's a few things I'm seeing that don't look right, and I'm curious 
if you get different results on your machines.  It could be an AIX 
version issue.  We're running 5.1 here.

    o Network statistics (packets/second, bits/second, errors/second) 
are all zero on the graphs.  I compared your scripts data output to 
those from a Sun host, and it seems that the Sun data records the number 
of packets/errors/bits since the previous record entry, while yours 
reports the total number of packets/errors/bits since the counters were 
last zero'ed.  Evidently, Orca doesn't like those numbers, so the graphs 
it produces are all data-less.  The orcallator.cfg files you attached 
had the network portions commented out, so I used the one from the Sun 
orcallator.cfg file, that specifies a min data of 0 and a max of 
whatever--the rest is the same, though, so the lack of data showing up 
on the graph I conclude has to do with the way the data is represented 
as total rather than delta.
    o The "Disk System Wide Transfer Rate" has the same problem, but 
data shows up on that graph -- it reports total, not per-second, so the 
number keeps climbing (presently, mine is at 1.4 Terabytes -- I think my 
customer would like to see that data rate, but I don't think my disks 
are quite that fast ;).
    o The username/password for the dsmadmc command should probably be 
put into a configurable parameter, since it shows up 3 times in the 
file, and I don't think there's a standard view-only username/password 
to use.
    o the 'query mount' command on my system returns an error "No match 
found using this criteria."  I'm not familiar with TSM, so I'm not sure 
if this just means I have no mounts configured to query, or if it's an 
error in the query string itself, or what.  Is this a benign error, or 
is it a problem?



     Dave ``Dragon'' Michaels       |   "I wonder what news is doing..."
    Raytheon  IS Unix Engineer      | news at newshost <29> ps -fu news
        dragon at raytheon.com         | news 18624 12367  2  0:00 makehistory
                                    |      "News is making history."

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately. 


More information about the Orca-users mailing list