[Orca-users] No html graphs

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu Aug 12 10:25:01 PDT 2004

David Devault wrote:

>This is great documentation information.
>
>   1 system crunching data (generating graphs) for many systems
>
>Did you have to make any specific change to make orca work in your environment?

I don't think I had to do anything special.  I configured Orca on
install to use an NFS mountpoint, that is common across all my systems
(in my case, my home directory) to write the data logs to.  Then the
data processor workstation reads those files across NFS, and generates
the graphs to a web directory that's also NFS mounted.  This isn't the
most ideal way to do things, but it works well for me, and with only 10
or so systems, there isn't much in the way of NFS traffic as compared to
the load the 300+ users I have put on the system.

Ideally, the web pages would be written either local to the data
processing workstation, or to some other server somewhere else, so that
the only impact to the monitored systems by the workstation is the NFS read.

>How does the data get to your cruncher system?

Some folks use a periodic "rdist" (sort of like a smart "rcp") to
distribute /changed/ files from one machine to another.  This makes it
so that the workstation that's doing the data processing can live in a
separate domain from the machines being monitored -- often when you're
having to deal with lots and lots of monitored machines, you're likely
going to be dealing with multiple domains as well.  In such cases, NFS
isn't a very good option -- different domains usually mean different
UIDs and GIDs for respective users, and NFS loses its charm in such
circumstances.  "rdist" is a good alternative, but "rsync" is far
superior (the tool mentioned in David Devault's message).  Reference:
http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/features.html

Hope this helps!
--Dragon