[Orca-users] Installation errors on solaris 8 (sparc)

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Fri Aug 27 10:19:22 PDT 2004

Roger Rosenblum wrote:

>Orca users:
>
>I'm trying to install orca-0.27 on a solaris 8 system.  configure runs
>fine, but when I run make I get:
>
>checking for shared library extension... so
>checking for the C compiler perl wants to use to build its modules... ./configure: test: unknown operator -B/usr/ccs/bin/
>make[1]: *** [rrdtool-1.0.40/config.status] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/staff/rsr/orca/orca-0.27/packages'
>make: *** [all] Error 1

I can't reproduce this problem on my Solaris 8 system, using the
standard system paths.

>which looks like there's a misplaced option somewhere which I can't find
>in the makefiles or my environment.  my path and ld_library_path vars are
>set as:
>
>/usr/local /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ccs/lib /usr/include /usr/xpg4/bin /usr/openwin/bin /usr/local/ssl/lib /usr/new /bin /usr/sbin /usr/ucb
>
>/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/ucb/lib:/usr/local/ssl/lib:/usr/local/openssl/lib
>
>resepctively.  This seems like it's an error on my system, but where?

Hmm, it seems interesting that you list your system paths first in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (/usr/lib), but you list your system paths last in your
$path.

I would try the following:

set path=(/usr/sbin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/bin)
unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and do it again.  Also, make sure your CC variable is not set.  Even if
you don't have a local compiler (Forte or somesuch), you should at least
see a different error with the above minimal path configuration.  That
will tell you that it has something to do with your custom path/ld_path
setup.  If you need a CC variable set (e.g., /opt/sfw/gcc-3/bin/gcc)
then also put /opt/sfw/gcc-3/bin LAST in your $path.  Basically, as you
find you need things, add them to the END of your path (and any
corresponding LD_LIBRARY_PATH elements should also be added to the end
-- if you start with an empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH and need to add some
paths, make sure /usr/lib is explicitly at the start)

>Any pointers appreciated.

Those are sort of a shot-in-the-dark, but hopefully they'll work for
you, or at least help.  It's definitely something related to your
environment, but it could be as innocuous as the order of your path, or
as complicated as the particular combination of system patches you
have.  Hard to say for sure at this point.

Good luck!
--Dragon

--

	Raytheon

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax