[Orca-users] winallator oddness

Rajesh Verma Rajesh.Verma at PalmettoHealth.org
Mon Aug 30 08:39:09 PDT 2004

I am getting this error..

[root at matrix bin]# /opt/orcaWin/bin/orcaWin -once
/opt/orcaWin/lib/winallator.cfg
/opt/orcaWin/bin/orcaWin: error: `require' second argument `0.28.0' is
not a number in `/opt/orcaWin/lib/winallator.cfg'.
/opt/orcaWin/bin/orcaWin: loading configuration file
`/opt/orcaWin/lib/winallator.cfg' got 1 error(s).

-Rajesh<o:p>

-----Original Message-----
From: "David Michaels" <dragon at raytheon.com>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 2:21 PM
To: "Rajesh Verma" <Rajesh.Verma at palmettohealth.org>
Cc: <orca-users at orcaware.com>
Subject: Re: [Orca-users] winallator oddness, and orca_logo.gif
corrupted in r380?

Rajesh Verma wrote:
>I wanted to mention too that to make the winallator work I have to
>delete orca.state file (rather than deleting the html files ) before I

>run the orca script for winallator.cfg, as mention below in the email
>also get the error message.

That worked for me until I had more than one data file and/or more than

one host reporting data.  Then everything went to heck.  So, I
rolled up
my sleves, and dove into the Perl pool.  And I came up with this:

>Do we have a solution for that.

I've made two patches, which I've included in the attached zip file.

They're both for snapshot r380.  One is for use if you've already
installed the SourceFile.pm patch included in data_gatherers/winallator

(I called it patch SourceFile r380 after winallator patch
applied.txt),
the other is a comprehensive patch that can effectively replace the
snapshot provided patch.
Hopefully it'll work if you simply cd into the directory where your
SourceFile.pm lives, and just "patch < {appropriate patch file}".
The end result should be "flawless" parsing of "perfmon" files.  I
basically left the original patch as is, but I made the following
changes:
    * modified the "print" commands to print only when  verbose
is specified
    * convert pure integers to have a .0 mantissa
    * convert blank fields enclosed in quotes (" ") to 0.0 (this
may not
      be mathematically representative of the 'missing' data,
but
      Orca/rrd complained about there being two data sources
for one
      data label, and so the rrd's were never generated for
that dataset)
    * Use \" in place of " in all sed style regexps, in order
          o ensure that the quote was being properly
interpreted by the
            regexp
          o enable proper highlighting of code in my
rev of emacs :)
I also included my winallator.cfg file (still being tweaked), as I
discovered the field syntax from perfmon did not quite match the
provided winallator.cfg syntax, for some fields.  YMMV, of course,
but
what I did was to look at the orca.state file for the parsed field
names, and construct winallator.cfg plot configs towards those names
and
naming schemes.  I notice that sometimes the fields start with _, and

sometimes not.  Also note that any \\hostname\ string that appears in

the field will be eliminated, per the original patch (it's redundant,
since the data files live in hostname scheme directories, usually,
and
in my case, the filenames themselves also have hostnames).
Good luck!
  Dragon

> Rajesh

I've

> [...]

>After blowing away the /npd/dmichael/www/orca win/winallator
>directory,
>and creating a new one from scratch, Orca starts up properly, and I
see

>these messages:
>    dmichael at npd flurry <~/orca win><574> Unquoted string
>"version" may
>    clash with future reserved word at
>    /npd/dmichael/orca win/lib/Orca/Config.pm line 351.
>    Unquoted string "version" may clash with future reserved
word
>at
>    /npd/dmichael/orca win/lib/Orca/Config.pm line 352.
>    Orca version 0.28.0 (dev 380) using RRDs version 1.000461 at

>Tue Aug
>    24 16:29:10 2004.
>    '/npd/dmichael/orca
>win/var/orca/rrd/winallator/orca.state'.
>    Creating orca_logo.gif.
>    Creating rrdtool_logo.gif.
>    Creating rothschild_image_logo.png.
>    Finding files and setting up data structures at Tue Aug 24
>16:29:11
>    2004.
>    _PDH TSV_4.0_Mountain_Daylight_Time_360_
>
>    _Memory_Available_Bytes _Memory_Pages/sec
>    _Network_Interface_3Com_EtherLink_PCI_Bytes_Total/sec
>    _Network_Interface_3Com_EtherLink_PCI_Output_Queue_Length
>
>    _Paging_File_Total_%_Usage
>_PhysicalDisk_Total_%_Disk_Time
>    _PhysicalDisk_Total_Avg._Disk_Queue_Length
>    _PhysicalDisk_0_C_%_Disk_Time
>_PhysicalDisk_1_D_%_Disk_Time
>    _Processor_Total_%_Interrupt_Time
>    _Processor_Total_%_Privileged_Time
>    _Processor_Total_%_Processor_Time
>    _Processor_0_%_Interrupt_Time
>_Processor_0_%_Privileged_Time
>    _Processor_0_%_Processor_Time   _Server_Bytes_Total/sec

>    _System_Context_Switches/sec
>_System_Processor_Queue_Length
>    /npd/dmichael/orca win/bin/orca: making directory
>    '/npd/dmichael/www/orca win/winallator/Mammatus'.
>    Current running time is 0:01 minutes.
>    "08/24/2004 15:49:32.741"       "1821061120"
>
>    "9.0138265982000529"    " "     " "
>"5.4567219574780061"
>    "0.0014755803075560572" "1.4755803075560572e 005"
>   " "     "
>    "     "1.7965025326987871e 006"
>    "0.00019085384559799286""99.986842231727763"
>    "9.8942265055808397e 007"
>"0.00024110326220292338"
>    "99.986893149182507"    "315.87042946126979"
>    "1580.8692508231229"    "0"
>    [...]
>      Read     9 data points from
>    '/npd/dmichael/orca
>win/var/orca/winallator/Mammatus/Mammatus_Winallator_2004082415.tsv'.

>    Flushing new data and updating PNGs from Mammatus.
>    /npd/dmichael/orca win/bin/orca: warning: cannot put data
>starting
>    at Tue Aug 24 15:49:32 2004 (1093384172) into
>    '/npd/dmichael/orca
>win/var/orca/rrd/winallator/winallator_Mammatus/gauge_Network_Interface_3Com_EtherLink_PCI_Bytes_Total_per_sec.rrd':

>    expected 1 data source readings (got 2) from
1093384172:::...

>    /npd/dmichael/orca win/bin/orca: warning: cannot put data
>starting
>    at Tue Aug 24 15:49:32 2004 (1093384172) into
>    '/npd/dmichael/orca
>win/var/orca/rrd/winallator/winallator_Mammatus/gauge_Network_Interface_3Com_EtherLink_PCI_Output_Queue_Length.rrd':

>    expected 1 data source readings (got 2) from
1093384172:::...

>    Saving state into
>    '/npd/dmichael/orca
>win/var/orca/rrd/winallator/orca.state'.
>    Updating PNGs.
>    Creating HTML files in '/npd/dmichael/www/orca
>win/winallator/'.
>
>Note the "expected 1 data source readings (got 2)" part.  Sometimes
>
>see those errors, sometimes I don't.  I'm sure it has to do with the

>blank data being fed for those columns (probably a perfmon problem),
>but
>sometimes it doesn't complain about this.  Also, at first it was
>creating broken images for those columns, but now it's fine (there's
no

>data in the graphs, as expected, but the graphs are there).
>One last thing    the orca_logo.gif appears to be corrupted in
the
>r380
>snapshot?  It would not display in Mozilla, and IE tried to display

>it,
>but it was rather garbled.  Comparing to 0.27's orca_logo.gif:
>    ls  lsa orca_logo.gif ../../orca/orcallator/orca_logo.gif

>       6  rw rw r     2 dmichael sysadmin
>  2252 Aug 24 16:24
>    ../../orca/orcallator/orca_logo.gif
>      10  rw rw r     1 dmichael sysadmin
>  4700 Aug 24 16:29 orca_logo.gif
>(the first one listed is the 0.27 version).  I just copied over the

>gif
>from the old to the new, and now it's fine.  Wonder what the problem

>is,
>though.
>  Dragon
>

>PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

        Raytheon
        *David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax
720.521.0561 pager
dragon at raytheon.com <mailto:dragon at raytheon.com>
*aka "Dragon"*
"I wonder what news is doing..."
 news at newshost <29> ps  fu news
 news 18624 12367 2 0:00 makehistory
"News is making history."

PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.