[Orca-users] memory stats

Ziegenhorn, Eric eric.ziegenhorn at ngc.com
Wed Feb 18 11:26:16 PST 2004

I believe that the information on Orca's homepage at
http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/orcallator.html#memory_free is somewhat
dated.  In particular, I believe it describes Solaris behavior for versions
6 and 7.  Solaris 8 introduced a new VM design that does not follow the
graph explanations.  My reference is primarily
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content8

Solaris 8 reports free memory differently, and in a way that as I understand
it means free memory should not decrease over time.  Basically, the
difference from before is that Solaris 8 includes the in-memory file system
cache as free memory.  Also, it should be pointed out that Solaris 8 memory
page scan rates should be 0.  If it is higher than zero then you are in
trouble and should buy more memory.

This is what I have figured out.  If anyone can explain, discredit or verify
my conclusions, that would be appreciated.  I am currently trying to get a
better grasp for what our Orca measurements are what they are, and if they
are in a good range.