[Orca-users] procallator question

Matthew Boeckman matthewb at saepio.com
Thu May 11 07:02:16 PDT 2006

FWIW - I cannot get the snapshot to compile on RHEL WS under any of the
following platforms/kernels: (x86_64, 2.6.9-22... x86, 2.4.21-4).

I really want it working on my 64bit boxen, so I'll just ask after that:

x86_64 AMD64 2.6.9-22
(fails : gcc  -shared RRDs.o -L../src/.libs/ -lrrd_private   -lm -o
blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so
/usr/bin/ld: ../src/.libs//librrd_private.a(parsetime.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
../src/.libs//librrd_private.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/orca-snapshot-r528/packages/rrdtool-1.0.50/perl-shared'
make[4]: *** [perl_shared] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/orca-snapshot-r528/packages/rrdtool-1.0.50'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/orca-snapshot-r528/packages/rrdtool-1.0.50'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/orca-snapshot-r528/packages/rrdtool-1.0.50'
) - adding -fPIC doesn't change anything

Would it be possible to get --disable-blah options to configure with
orca? As I mentioned in my original post I've used it for years, and
seems like I always have trouble with the stuff you guys put in the
packages directory. In the past I can get around it by pulling those
packages (RRD, MD5, Time, etc) separately, and just beating my head
against it for a few hours.

I've tried --with-rrd=(my valid, working rrd install path),
--with-rrdtool=same --without-rrd --without-rrdtool, etc etc and make
continues to fail.

Does the build just obstinately ignore the options I pass it, or am I
doing something painfully wrong?

thanks!

Matthew Boeckman
Manager - Systems Integration