[svnmerge] Bidirectional merging

Dale Worley dworley at pingtel.com
Mon Aug 22 08:21:07 PDT 2005

> From: Raman Gupta
>
> > Yes, this is a "known problem".
>
> Hmm, too bad. I think that "bidirectional merges" are a no-go for all
> but trivial cases until this is resolved.

I don't see it that way.  But I assume that all merges may require
intelligent intervention.

> I feel your pain. I think what needs to be done is to store
> the revision
> numbers of merges (or merge-points) somewhere, so that we can exclude
> those revision(s) when merging back.

Unfortunately, that won't really work either.  When merging a change or set
of changes from one branch to another, it is relatively common that some
further additional tweaking to the WC has to be done before the merged
change is in shape to commit.  So even though rev A of branch X is labeled
"merge rev B of branch Y", it often is more than just that.  Thus we cannot
assume that rev A of branch X need not be merged back into branch Y, as the
tweaking in rev A may clean up some problem that is still present in branch
Y.

Dale