[Svnmerge] Patch for non-reflected bidirectional merging support

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Fri Aug 26 10:57:19 PDT 2005

Raman Gupta wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>Raman Gupta wrote:
>>>Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>>Raman Gupta wrote:

Great discussion! I'm glad to have some help figuring this out :-)

Let me throw out a completely different idea, just to add more
confusion...

Suppose before each merge, we do something like this:

   svn log --xml . \
    | grep revision= \
    | sed s/^.*revision="\([[:digit:]]*\)".*$/\1/g'

Here "." is the branch (i.e., target) directory for the merged changes.
This just tells us which revisions actually changed the target branch,
as opposed to revisions which made changes outside of the target branch.

Then, we simply omit these changes from whatever revisions we're going to
merge in. Voila, "reflected" changes are never merged in.

Now this would work great, except in the pathological case where someone
made a change to TWO branches at the same time, then tried to merge
the change from one to the other. However, we can always add an obscure
flag  "--include-reflected-changes" for those situations.

-Archie