[Svnmerge] Log of merges

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri Nov 4 14:03:08 PST 2005

Archie Cobbs <archie at dellroad.org> wrote:

> I'm still skeptical :-)

No problem :)
I'm always worried about over-engineering solutions. I know sometimes I do that
:)

> With CVS, merge tags must be added manually. I.e.,
> "MYBRANCH_MERGE_20051022" didn't just appear magically, someone had
> to put it there.
>
> So why can't the SVN equivalent ("svn cp") be done in the SVN case?
> It gives the same result - an easy way to see changes subsequent to
> that merge, and an easy way to "checkout" the code at that tag.

That is fine with me -- but why can't we have svnmerge do it then? I think of
svnmerge as the one program which should handle merging issues. It's a frontend
of svn: there's absolutely nothing that people can't do without svnmerge. It's
just that svnmerge makes many tasks easier because it already contains scripted
logic that people would otherwise have to follow with their brain and fingers.

We could have "svnmerge tag" which creates merge tags automatically, and then
"svnmerge log" which shows information about the merges. In fact, I would call
this solution #4 (wrt my original list), as a possible implementation for
"svnmerge log". But then, one should always do "svnmerge merge", followed by
"snvmerge tag". This would be a pointless duplication IMO.

There's one thing I don't understand: do you agree that having a "svnmerge log"
would be desirable? It looks like you agree about the fact that a maintainer
might want to, eg, list all the merges he did. If we agree, I think it's clear
that it's not something that it's currently easy to do (assuming one uses
svnmerge to maintain a branch), then I don't see anything wrong on having
svnmerge automate this.

Giovanni Bajo