[Svnmerge] Merging for foriegn repositories

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Nov 18 12:28:10 PST 2005

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can merge from a foreign repository.  I do it all the time.
>

> Hmm.. last time I checked adding files with history didn't work.
> Try this with your version (backslashes denote line wraps)...
>
>   mkdir -p /tmp/foo
>   cd /tmp/foo
>   svnadmin create repo
>   svn co file:///tmp/foo/repo checkout
>   cd checkout
>   svn export -r 10522 \
>       http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.1.x/subversion/po po
>   svn add po
>   svn ci
>   cd po
>   svn merge -r10522:10523 \
>       http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.1.x/subversion/po .
>
> I get this on the last step:
>
>   svn: Access schema mixtures not yet supported
> ('http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.1.x/subversion/po/ja.po'
> and 'file:///tmp/foo/repo/po')

I see.  I guess I've been lucky so far that I haven't seen that problem :)

This doesn't look that easy to work around.  Doing an 'svn diff' doesn't show
where it comes from, but 'svn log -v' does, but then we'd end up parsing what it
does.

Well, all the work we're talking about seems to be going in the direction of
svk, so maybe we shouldn't put too much effort in supporting these features.