[Svnmerge] Merging for foriegn repositories

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Fri Nov 18 16:11:36 PST 2005

Dale R. Worley wrote:
>>I think fixing "svn merge" from remote repos would be phenomenally
>>useful (look at all the folks who use CVSup (e.g. FreeBSD community)
>>to mirror a CVS repo). It would greatly expand the applications for
>>svnmerge, making it into a repository mirroring tool too.
>>
>>The hard issue is what to do with an add-with-history.
>
> Currently, at Pingtel we fake it with a script that erases the history,
> so "svn ci" will succeed.

That's a viable approach, however..

Ideally, somehow svn would look into the target repo for a file
with the same path as the original (copied) file in the source repo,
and (only if they have the same contents?) do a copy-with-history
in the target repo.

Otherwise, imagine tracking a remote repo with lots of branches
and tags.. your repo will contain whole independent copies of the
tree for each branch and tag instead of intra-repo "magic" constant
size copies like the source repo does.

-Archie