[Svnmerge] questions about merge tracking

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Thu Sep 22 12:46:51 PDT 2005

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> I'm assuming you would take your XX:HEAD list and combine it with: the
> 1:XX list after subtracting out already-merged revisions (i.e., from the
> svnmerge-integrated property)... otherwise you'd not show the unmerged
> revisions < XX. By induction, that list would also be "pruned"...

Actually that last statement is not true.

To clarify: there are two ways to solve this problem of "phantom"
revisions (i.e., revisions which did not affect the head) appearing
as mergable revisions:

1. Don't show "phantom" revisions in "svnmerge avail"
2. Auto-merge in "phantom" revisions when we "svnmerge merge".

What you are referring to is option #1. Option #2 would mean doing
something like this: Let M be the maximum merged revision number so far.
Each time we "svnmerge merge", if we are merging a maximal revision
N > M, then find all the "phantom" revisions between N and M and merge
them as well.

I kind of like #2 better because it seems more "proactive" or something.
We could use a similar "svn log -r M:N ..." trick to detect the phantom
revisions. Then the "by induction" statement would hold true.

-Archie