[Svnmerge] Revision notes feature idea

Archie Cobbs archie at awarix.com
Fri Sep 30 07:05:41 PDT 2005

I'm curious what people think of this idea, i.e., the idea of attaching
notes that pertain to future possible merge revisions.

Imaging svnmerge maintained a mapping from revision # -> text note.
Notes would only exist for revisions that had yet to be merged in.
You could add/remove notes whenver you wanted to. When a noted
revision was merged via "svnmerge merge", the note would be
automatically displayed, and then removed.

This is a slightly random feature, but here's the motivation. Sometimes
you merge revision X, but to make it work you also have to make some
additional change (e.g., to eliminate a conflict) which affects, overlaps
with, or is part of some other yet-to-be-merged revision Y.  Then you'd
like to remember this for that future time when you get around to actually
merging revision Y, when you will be confronted with handling the fruits
of your manual change (i.e., "undoing" it, so the combination of merging
X and Y together yeilds the same as what is on the head branch).

Traditionally I've been putting these notes in the commit messages,
but that's not quite as handy.

Thoughts?

-Archie