[Svnmerge] Bugs when merging revisions that modify and deletefiles

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon Feb 13 11:32:53 PST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Giovanni Bajo wrote:

> > I don't see how svnmerge could ask svn to do it all in a single
> > operation, since we want to merge revisions (a) and (c) without merging
> > the intervening revision (b).
>
> When you said that (b) is "make any unrelated change anywhere", I thought
> you really meant "unrelated" as in "in other parts of the repository" (eg.
> another branch). In that case, svnmerge is free to compact ranges.

I meant "a different file in the same directory".

> I don't think svnmerge should do much more than this, no. You might
> want to check if "svn merge --force" helps here. In that case, I could
> be spoken into adding "--force" to any svn merge operation (unless
> someone comes up with a good reason for not doing it).

Yes, adding "--force" to the svn command line works.  The following pair
of commands correctly deletes the branch's copy of the file that was
edited in the trunk in revision 5 and then deleted form the trunk in
revision 7:

    svn merge -r 4:5 ${REPO_URL}/trunk .
    svn merge -r 6:7 --force ${REPO_URL}/trunk .

Thank you for your help.

--apb (Alan Barrett)