[Svnmerge] Bugs when merging revisions that modify and deletefiles

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Mon Feb 13 15:56:26 PST 2006

Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>> In my opinion this is a "real" conflict. svnmerge would be acting
>> too presumptiously to automatically remove the file, as it could
>> possibly be that the deletion is invalid without the intervening
>> change that was skipped. E.g., perhaps some needed code was moved
>> to another file in the intervening revision.
>
> If the skipped change affected the same file, then I would agree that
> it's a real conflict.  But in the case under discussion, the skipped
> change does not affect the same file.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Now I get it...

Perhaps the answer is to always use "--force" when invoking
svn merge (at least, for the second and subsequent invocations):

   - If the user did not say "svnmerge merge --force", then we know
     the working copy is clean (because we wouldn't have proceeded if
     not), and so any uncleanliness must be a result of a situation
     like this where --force is what we really want (*)

   - If the user said "svnmerge merge --force" then that's what
     (s)he wanted anyway.

First we'd have to think hard to make sure (*) is really true...

-Archie