[Svnmerge] svnmerge avail log ordering

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Feb 24 08:17:35 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> While we're making changes I'd like to propose that the default
> ordering for the log messages displayed by "svnmerge avail -l"
> be changed to show most recent first, as "svn log" does, instead
> of oldest first.

No, please don't change that.  Merges should (usually) be done
(approximately) in numeric order, and when I review the output of
"svnmerge avail -l" to decide which revisions to merge, it's very useful
for the output to (approximately) match the order in which I will do the
merges.

It's OK to skip around a little, or even skip around a lot if the
changes are mutually independent.  But if you try to merge new revisions
without first merging older revisions on which they depend then you will
have problems such as: file does not yet exist because you tried to
merge an edit without first merging the revision that created the file;
or merge has conflicts because you tried to merge an edit without first
merging previous edits to the same file.

> What do others think? We can also add a flag.

A flag would be fine.  I'd prefer the default to remain as at present.

--apb (Alan Barrett)