[Svnmerge] Why does svnmerge avail only work on working directories?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri May 12 01:51:47 PDT 2006

Mattias Brändström <thebrasse at brasse.org> wrote:

> OK. This looks like a small enough patch for an open source virgin
> like me. =) It seems that the patch might be *really* small, please
> correct me if I'm wrong. The change I have made is that the test in
> main() that is supposed to make sure that branch_dir is a svn working
> copy does now accept branch_dir to be a URL if the command is either
> "avail" or "integrated".

Something like that, yes. Theoretically, it would be better to create a new
flag "does this command accept an URL?" into the command description (where it
lists the options available for each command), so that you can later check the
flag instead of checking explicitally for those two commands.

> I have done a little testing and it seems to
> work.

The patch needs to have an accompanying testcase. Have a look at
svnmerge_test.py, it shouldn't be hard to add such a testcase.

> How do I send the patch to this list so you can take a look at
> it?

Use "svn diff" to extract it. You should also write a log message compatible
with those used by the Subversion repository. Try "svn log
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.py --limit
5" to see what I mean. You can also read Subversion developers instructions
about this.

Giovanni Bajo