[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py avail --diff: differences that aren't there?

Thomas F. O'Connell tf at o.ptimized.com
Mon Oct 30 23:08:13 PST 2006

I'm working in a repository where there is a trunk and a branches
directory containing a handful of separate copies of what is now the
trunk.

I.e.,

project/
   trunk
   branches/
     branch1
     branch2
     branchn

I'm picking up where  a previous maintainer left off, and I'm
noticing something unsusual. If I run the following from trunk:

svnmerge.py avail -S branches/branchx --diff

there is quite a bit of output, including helpful log messages.
What's odd is that it seems like the changes have actually been
committed to the trunk. I.e., if I look at a file that svnmerge.py is
identifying as different in trunk and compare it to the file in
branches/branchx using the filesystem diff, there is often no
difference (and when there is, it is because of recognizable changes
that have been merged from a different branch).

The question is: what do I do with these available changes? Block
them? Go ahead and merge them?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

http://o.ptimized.com/
615-260-0005