[Svnmerge] Error during "svnmerge.py init"

nick aschberger nick.aschberger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:29:19 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,

svnmerge.py is a great idea - I like it, but I have an error I can't get
past. Apologies if this has been answered before, but I can't see much about
it in the Archives.

I have started using this tool on a software project - we typically perform
tasks on short-lived development branches, and when the features are
complete, the branches are merged to trunk on a weekly basis.
So, svnmerge.py helps with merging in all directions (including from branch
to branch).

However, frequently when running "svnmerge.py init" commands, I get an error
such as:

"svnmerge: command execution failed (exit code: 1)"  -- and then a whole
pile of xml is spewed out (which I think is the output of svn log command,
with xml flag on).

Sometimes if I "svn update" or do a fresh checkout, this goes away, but
currently I'm stuck, and I can't get past this error.

Does anyone know what causes this, and what I can do to fix or debug it?

Is it possibly a version problem? Either with python, or svnmerge.py, or the
OS - (running centos 3. Also tried on centos 4).

sincerely,

Nick Aschberger