[Svnmerge] Initialization problem

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 4 13:19:25 PDT 2008

Wayne wrote:
>> The plot thickens. First the requested output:
>>
>>  >svnmerge avail -vv
>> svn --non-interactive propget --strict "svnmerge-integrated" "."
>> svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
>> svn --non-interactive info "."
>> svnmerge: source is "http://xxxx/branches/my_branch"
>> svn --non-interactive propget --strict "svnmerge-integrated"
>> "http://xxxx/branches/my_branch"
>> svnmerge: command execution failed (exit code: 1)
>> svn --non-interactive propget --strict "svnmerge-integrated"
>> "http://xxxx/branches/my_branch"
>> svn: 'http://xxxx/svn/branches/my_branch' does not exist in revision '71'
>>
>>  >svn pl --verbose "http://xxxx/branches/my_branch"
>> svn: Unknown node kind for 'http://xxxx/branches/my_branch'
>>

>> Now if I run the prop get myself like this (my working copy was last
>> updated at version 68):
>>  >svn propget "svnmerge-integrated"
>> /branches/my_branch:1-4
>>
>> At this point I noticed that some check-ins had happened so I did an
>> svn update. Now my working copy is at revision 71. Now if I run the
>> command 'svn propget "svnmerge-integrated"' I get and empty line.
>>
>> The unknown node type response to the pl command concerns me. However,
>> svnadmin verify does not report any errors.
>>

> I was just thinking about this and I remembered that I actually moved
> the branch after I made it. Could that be what's causing the problem?

While moving the branch will definitely cause svnmerge.py to fail
(unless the integrated property is modified to match), I don't see how
moving the branch would cause the particular symptoms you are seeing.
svnmerge.py would just treat the moved branch as uninitialized.

> If this is the case then I think that I make a new branch (copy the same
> revision to a new branch name), run svnmerge init and then copy all my
> changes over. Then I will have another branch at the same point. Then I
> can start merging to/from the trunk. Do you see any problems with this?
> I am not really worried a lot about the history in the branch up to this
> point.

I don't really understand what you are doing here. But if you are
essentially proposing to initialize merging from a new branch, just
remember that as far as svnmerge.py is concerned thats a completely
new branch with no shared revisions with any other branch (except for
the one it was copied from).

Cheers,
Raman