[Svnmerge] Automating merge tracking initialization

Paul Walmsley spam at pjwhams.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 04:26:43 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Rohan Joseph <rohanjoseph at gmail.com> wrote:

>              I am a relatively new user to svnmerge.py and I am currently
> attempting to automate the process of initializing merge tracking on any
> directory. I have been reading through some threads and there seems to be an
> agreed-upon notion that the best time to start merge tracking is when a
> branch is just created (pristine, no local modifications). Is there a way to
> automatically run 'svnmerge.py init BRANCH_URL' the moment the branch is
> created?

Presumably, automatic initialisation of merge tracking is undesirable in
the general case?  You can initialise merge tracking between any pair of
branches, so every time you create a branch, the initialisation data
would be created for every existing branch, which would have a
significant overhead.  I think it would be useful to have merge tracking
automatically initialised between the new branch and its parent, as this
is the most common use case,  but then you have an inconsistency where
you have to initialise merge tracking for some pairs of branches but not
for others.

On balance, the current situation is probably the best compromise.

In relation to your original point about the best time to initialise
merge tracking I think you might be getting two different issues mixed
up.   The 'pristine, no local modifications' thing means that you should
ensure you have a clean checkout of your new branch with no local
changes.  However, I don't think it is at all necessary to do this as
soon as you create the new branch.  You can initialise the merge
tracking at any point in time later -- even just before you finally
merge the branch back to its parent.  It'Pauls good practice to get into
the habit of doing it early, but it isn't really necessary.

So I wouldn't worry about automatic initialisation of merge tracking.