[Svnmerge] Question about SVN 1.5 vs. svnmerge

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Wed Oct 1 03:50:16 PDT 2008

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Jon Schewe wrote:
>> I've done some reading on the new merge features in svn 1.5 and I'm not
>> sure it supports everything that svnmerge does. Perhaps someone on this
>> list can either answer the question or point me to an answer.
>>
>> I'm doing development with development branches. Each developer has
>> their own branch they work on (as we don't share bugs much). Each
>> developer merges changes from the trunk when they want to get up to date
>> and then merges changes back to the trunk when they're done making
>> changes (using -b) and then keeps making changes in their development
>> branch and does this all over again.
>>
>> Looking at the svn 1.5 documentation it doesn't appear that this is
>> supported as you need to use the reintegrate option and then the branch
>> is dead. Is this correct?
>
> That's right.  1.5 also doesn't support blocking revisions expect by
> munging the mergeinfo using --record-only.
After having read
http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html I'm
wondering if I can actually use my development branches with svn 1.5
merging with one change. Each time I merge my development branch back to
trunk I delete and recreate it on the server side as suggested in the
article "The bottom line is that if you recreate your branches you will
not run into this.  svn delete followed by svn copy runs fast, and does
not take up any repository disk space.  You do not even have to do
anything special to your working copy.  So just do it!"

Does anyone see problems with this?

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39