[Svnmerge] Question about SVN 1.5 vs. svnmerge

Reid Priedhorsky reid at reidster.net
Wed Oct 1 12:16:53 PDT 2008

Jon Schewe wrote:

> After having read
> http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html I'm
> wondering if I can actually use my development branches with svn 1.5
> merging with one change. Each time I merge my development branch back
> to trunk I delete and recreate it on the server side as suggested in
> the article "The bottom line is that if you recreate your branches
> you will not run into this.  svn delete followed by svn copy runs
> fast, and does not take up any repository disk space.  You do not
> even have to do anything special to your working copy.  So just do
> it!"
>
> Does anyone see problems with this?

I see two disadvantages with this pattern:

1. Extra commits and associated noise from the delete and copy.

2. Continuation of new work on the branch is blocked by the merge-to-trunk.

In my case, #2 is a major problem because merging to trunk is done by
the project manager, not the developer on the branch. :/ YMMV.

Reid