[Svnmerge] Question about SVN 1.5 vs. svnmerge

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Wed Oct 1 16:14:37 PDT 2008

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Jon Schewe wrote:
>
>> After having read
>> http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html I'm
>> wondering if I can actually use my development branches with svn 1.5
>> merging with one change. Each time I merge my development branch back
>> to trunk I delete and recreate it on the server side as suggested in
>> the article "The bottom line is that if you recreate your branches
>> you will not run into this.  svn delete followed by svn copy runs
>> fast, and does not take up any repository disk space.  You do not
>> even have to do anything special to your working copy.  So just do
>> it!"
>>
>> Does anyone see problems with this?
>>

> I see two disadvantages with this pattern:
>
> 1. Extra commits and associated noise from the delete and copy.
>
> 2. Continuation of new work on the branch is blocked by the merge-to-trunk.
>
> In my case, #2 is a major problem because merging to trunk is done by
> the project manager, not the developer on the branch. :/ YMMV.

Those are good points to think about. #1 doesn't bother me much, #2 can
be an issue, depending on the project. Are there any technical issues
with this? Cases where this won't work?

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39