[Svnmerge] Problem init'ing a branch of a branch

James Sleeman james at gogo.co.nz
Thu Oct 2 05:04:32 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 02:44 -0700, Buddy Burden wrote:

> So, _now_ what I want to do is merge the trunk into the second branch
> (the branch of the branch, that is).  So I get myself a clean copy,
> and I run svnmerge init:

If I understand you right

  trunk
   +--- branch 1
        +--- branch 2

and you had init'd branch 1 against trunk
but had not init'd branch 2 against anything

When you copied branch 1 to make branch 2, you also copied the svnmerge
properties that tell it what the branch is init'd with, so branch 2 is
already init'd with trunk, at the point at which you branched from
branch 1.

Your trouble is going to be if you have been merging to/from branch 1
with branch 2 and to/from branch 1 with trunk, and now want to merge
to/from trunk with branch 2.  This would be a star merge (cyclic merge,
multi source merge, whatever you want to call it) which svnmerge does
not support.

--
James Sleeman, Gogo Internet Services
http://host.gogo.co.nz/ - Webhosting + Free Domain or 25% Discount for Designers