[Svnmerge] Problem init'ing a branch of a branch

Buddy Burden barefootcoder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:28:25 PDT 2008

James,

> If I understand you right
>
>  trunk
>   +--- branch 1
>        +--- branch 2
> and you had init'd branch 1 against trunk
> but had not init'd branch 2 against anything

Yes, exactly.

> When you copied branch 1 to make branch 2, you also copied the svnmerge
> properties that tell it what the branch is init'd with, so branch 2 is
> already init'd with trunk, at the point at which you branched from
> branch 1.

Hmmm ... interesting.  Let me just try an svnmerge avail then and see
what it tells me.

Answer: it tells me I can merge from either the initial barnch or the
trunk.  An svnmerge avail for the trunk returns a huge amount of
revisions; svnmerge avail from the other branch shows a much smaller
set.  But I'm not sure exactly which one I should be using ...

I think _maybe_ I should merge everything from the other branch first,
_then_ I can merge everything from the trunk _after_ the point where
the branch was merged back the to trunk.  Well, _including_ the trunk
merge, I guess.

> Your trouble is going to be if you have been merging to/from branch 1
> with branch 2 and to/from branch 1 with trunk, ...

Well, no to the first, yes to the second.

Here's maybe a better diagram, based on yours:

   trunk------+------+------------+-+------
       |      |      |            | ^     ^
       V      V      V            V |     ^
       +----sp3_alpha_branch------+-+     ^<--- desired (not done yet)
                           |              ^
                           V              ^
                           +---sp3_iter4--+

(Hmmmm ... that looks sorta crappy in this gmail account, but if you
force it to a monospaced font, it should line up.)

> This would be a star merge (cyclic merge,
> multi source merge, whatever you want to call it) which svnmerge does
> not support.

Fair enough.  Can anyone think of a way I could do it _outside_ of
svnmerge then?  Regular svn merge?  Upgrading to 1.5?  Anything?

           -- Buddy