[Svnmerge] Problem init'ing a branch of a branch

James Sleeman james at gogo.co.nz
Thu Oct 2 20:50:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 16:28 -0700, Buddy Burden wrote:

> I think _maybe_ I should merge everything from the other branch first,
> _then_ I can merge everything from the trunk _after_ the point where
> the branch was merged back the to trunk.  Well, _including_ the trunk
> merge, I guess.

What I would do is init (if you havn't already) at the point at which
the second branch was created, sp3_iter4 with sp3_alpha_branch (that is
so an avail in sp3_alpha_branch, will give sp3_iter4 and trunk) then
svnmerge merge the stuff in sp3_iter4 back into sp3_alpha_branch, and
then in trunk svnmerge from sp3_alpha_branch.

No merging direct from iter4 to trunk.

Remember to use the bidirectional flag to svnmerge (I think it's default
now, but maybe you are using an old version.

branch 2 <--- svnmerge ---> branch 1 <--- svnmerge --> trunk

Probably you could/should uninit your branch2 from trunk just so you
don't accidentally try merging to/from it.

I do basically the same thing with very many live-branches in a
three-level-deep format like you have ( but for different reasons ) - it
is a bit of a pain to "tramp" changesets up and back, but until
svn/svnmerge can support the star merging, then it's all we got.

--
James Sleeman, Gogo Internet Services
http://host.gogo.co.nz/ - Webhosting + Free Domain or 25% Discount for