[Svnmerge] python modularity

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Apr 6 05:09:24 PDT 2009

On 4/2/2009 2:44 AM, Ted Stern wrote:
> Please see my previous message for my introduction.  I'm just starting
> a separate thread for this topic.
>
> Because of svnmerge.py's capability for bidirectional merging, I've
> converted one of my colleagues over to using it.
>
> He is a much more experienced Python programmer than I, and commented
> that svnmerge.py, while fine for CLI usage, is not very well set up to
> be used as a library.  I'm not clear on the particulars, but he made
> a comment about it returning only exceptions.
>
> Therefore, I'm wondering if there are plans to better integrate
> svnmerge.py with other python libraries such as PySVN.
>
> Thanks for your time and hard work!

I have succesfully integrated svnmerge.py into GUI applications by
simply spawning it. Just like snvmerge.py itself, which spawns svn.

BTW, it's a design choice that svnmerge.py spawns svn instead of using
the bindings. It means that the code is possibly 10 times smaller; that
anybody who knows "svn" can read and understand it (instead of limiting
contributions to the handful of people who understands the undocumented
and overly complex SVN bindings); that it doesn't break every time SVN
is updated; and that it's possible to run it everywhere without
dependency hell.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.