[Svnmerge] Merging two branches

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:03:52 PST 2009

On 05 Feb 2009 14:21:32 -0800, Jorge Medina wrote:

> Hi
>     I am using svnmerge.py and I came to the following scenario:
>
>     I created branch A
>     Some weeks later, branch B was created.
>
>     The feature in branch A is done, but I am not allowed to merge
> it back to the trunk because we are just finishing work on it for a
> release (that won't have feature A)
>
>     I need to work on some other feature on branch B (created also
> from the trunk) but I would really like to have feature A integrated
> into this branch.
>
>     Can svnmerge.py be used to merge these two branches?

This is an interesting question, and one I want to know how to handle
myself!

Here's what I see is happening:

Trunk

|\
| \
|  \
|   \
|    \
b     \
|\     \
| \     \
|  \     \
|   \     \
|    \     \
T     B     A

You need to merge changes to trunk between a and b into A.

Then you want to merge changes between a and A into B.

So A will need to see that its update mark on the trunk has moved from
a to b.

I don't think your branch policy should allow B to be merged back in
before A, because that would not keep the features well separated.

But if A merges its changes back to the trunk before B does, then when
B merges its changes back there will be conflicts with the features
from A.  How are those resolved?

Ted
--
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal