[ocaml-biz] Some logo for your OCaml related websites

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Mon Aug 23 16:19:11 PDT 2004

> Olivier Grisel wrote:
> > http://champi.champiland.homelinux.org/~olivier/ocaml-logos.html

As noted on caml-list, we can't use this for serious marketing as it's a
clear violation of R.J.Reynolds Tobacco's trademark.

We can't just use any old camel we like either, because O'Reilly has a
trademark on using a camel to represent its Perl books.
http://perl.oreilly.com/usage  Not every animal is created equal,
however.  There are at least 3 ways to treat an animal:

- realistically
- comically
- abstractly

When trying to work on Python logos, we chose to pursue graphical
abstractions of snakes as they'd be more "suit friendly".  We thought a
comical treatment would be a turnoff to business types.  We didn't want
a realistic snake because many people fear and loathe them.
Analogously, O'Reilly is in the way for a 'realistic camel'.

We ended up with:
http://www.pollenation.net/assets/public/python-main-oct05.png
and were shot down by the Python Software Foundation because we never
secured their support or buy-in.  Analogously, the first order of
business for an OCaml logo is securing INRIA's support and buy-in.
Failure to do so spells doom.

So:
1) who's got art skills?
2) who's good at INRIA diplomacy?  (not me)

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur