[ocaml-biz] mascot

Brian Hurt bhurt
Wed Aug 25 10:09:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Tony Edgin wrote:

> Since camels are associated with Perl, how about choosing a
> mascot related to camels instead?  For instance a medievil
> Arabian warrior could be used.  Arabian warriors have an air
> of power and speed about them which are both traits of Ocaml.

I hate to say this, but in today's political climate of irrational fear
and hysteria, picking as our mascot a person of middle-eastern descent
would be a PR diaster.  Personally, I find this racist, stupid, and a sign
of a severe mental problem- but our hypothetical PHB whom we're trying to
convince he should use Ocaml instead of C# is highly likely to have an
advanced case of this neurosis.

The culture that invented Algebra, has the concept of "warrior-scholar",
and a "city of the Book", should be loaded with symbols of being both
educated and effective.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian