[ocaml-biz] adjectives about OCaml

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Wed Aug 25 12:28:03 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> Another example of Ocaml as a pragmatic language- Andy and Dave are
big
fans of having the computer do as much of the work as possible.  A point
they make over and over again is to automate as much as possible.  So
why
not automate one of the most tedious aspects of programming- debugging?
Have the computer, at compile time, find the vast majority of bugs.  Oh,
does this require a lot of tedious typing of variables and functions?
Automate that as well.

'Automated' might be a good marketing buzzword.  It's not literally
true, and people will complain, but a certain amount of complaining is
actually good in the "all news is good news" marketing hype sense.  What
I like about the word 'automated' is it emphasizes programmer time, as
compared to 'efficient' which really doesn't say anything about how long
it'll take to get things done.  ASM is efficient, after all.

I think it is important to pick phrases or buzzwords that appeal to
semi-technical Suits, as opposed to hardcore programmers like us who
read articles like "The Pragmatic Programmer."

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.