[ocaml-biz] Inverse Googling

Martin Jambon martin_jambon
Tue Aug 31 06:05:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Martin Jambon wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe, it might help to have a few pages that talk about
> > > programming in
> > > general and who all point to OCaml resources.
> >
> > It's a good marketing idea.  Unfortunately, I am not the web guru you
> > seek.  :-)  Anyone else around here handy with webpages?
> > We're going to
> > keep bumping into this difficulty.  We need artists and web designers.
>
> Martin, how about you put your 'Google Searchable' idea up on the COCAN
> wiki?  Your idea is a keeper, and we should retain an institutional
> memory of it.

OK, saying that we want to be Google-searchable is harmless.
Saying that we want to create an "OCaml-sponsored" site about choosing a
good programming language is acceptable too.
However, if we maintain a list of all the keywords on a dedicated web
page, there is a chance to find this page while googling for these terms
:-)
If this is the case, we have to be extremely careful regarding the
contents of this specific page (it should not look like a "spam web
page"). If we don't maintain a list of keywords, there is no problem.
(It is also possible to use tricks so that the list of keywords is visible
by humans but not by the search engines...)

By the way, I don't know what should be public and what should not be
public concerning our strategies... at least all the emails of ocaml-biz
are visible and Google-searchable (so we will see in a few days if my
message can be found easily or not :-).

About Google-search in general, placing all the exact keywords in the text
is a requirement. It is even better if the URL contains the most relevant
keywords. It is also very easy to get a good rank in Google images and it
seems to last several months after the file has been removed, although I
don't expect too many people looking for pictures related to
programming languages...

Martin