[ocaml-biz] The Hype Cycle

Brian Hurt bhurt
Tue Aug 31 18:39:14 PDT 2004

I thought I'd throw this peice of chum into these shark invested waters
:-) to see what people thought:

IMHO, Ocaml is still off to the left of Digital Media Centers on this
curve.  Java is, I think, currently in it's trough of disappointment.  I
also think functional program is starting to climb out of it's trough of
disappointment.

I think the peak of inflated expectations for functional programming was
in the late seventies/early eighties- the era of Lisp machines.  In
retrospect, the trough of disappointment was inevitable.  The fact that
Lisp needed (back then) specialized hardware to gain acceptable
performance doomed it.

But the technical problems have been fixed.  Ocaml and Lisp/Scheme run
with acceptable, even good performance.  Most of the remaining arguments
against functional programming languages amount to they're not already
popular.

One comment I will make- simply because a technology has had a peak of
inflated expectations and descended into the trough of disillusionment,
doesn't mean it's going to crawl back up the slope of elightenment to
reach the plateau of productivity.  I vote that the Itanium is the current
gold-standard example of this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/30/opteron_itanium_sales_q2/

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian