[Orca-users] AIX monitors for Orca

Rajesh Verma Rajesh.Verma at PalmettoHealth.org
Mon Aug 23 11:54:02 PDT 2004

David,

I know the orca perl script for AIX is good in terms of very less data.

NMON is IBM certified tool now. It does not come with the O/S but can
be downloaded from IBM site. Its free. Its just like top in linux.

-Rajesh

>>> "David Michaels" <dragon at raytheon.com> 8/23/2004 2:20:19 PM >>>
I've looked at the data files that nmon spits out.  They're definitely

designed for spreadsheet processing -- parsing through them to generate

orcallated data using perl and/or unix toolkits is going to be a bear.

They're also /enormous/ data files, by comparison.  I think the aix
orcallator that Rajesh contributed a few months ago that we've been
tweaking is going to be more productive, and will ultimately represent

the same data.  Also, I think nmon requires a lot more overhead than a

perl script would -- I don't think it's designed to run 24x7 as SOP,
but
rather, to be run during specific intervals while you're trying to fix

an already-identified performance problem.

Rajesh - do you know whether nmon is part of the standard AIX OS
install, or is it a separate (cost? free?) product that must be
specifically installed by the user for monitoring purposes?

--Dragon

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Rajesh Verma wrote:
>
>> Blair,
>>
>> Did you receive the 2 files I sent you. If you can use the data and
>> create the graph using orca, that would be great.
>>
>> Please let us know if you need more data to work on.
>>
>> -Rajesh
>>

> Hi Rajesh,
>
> You mean the 18 Mbyte email?  Yes, I got the files.
>
> I won't have any time to work on the AIX data gatherer integration
> with Orca, so if an AIX user wants to work on this, let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Blair

	Raytheon

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax
720.521.0561 pager
dragon at raytheon.com <mailto:dragon at raytheon.com> 	*aka "Dragon"*

"I wonder what news is doing..."

 news at newshost <29> ps -fu news
 news 18624 12367 2 0:00 makehistory

"News is making history."

PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.