[Svnmerge] svnmerge rewritten in Python

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sun Sep 18 09:56:32 PDT 2005

Hello,

I rewrote svnmerge in Python, attached to this mail.

- It's a straightforward conversion. It's *almost* 1:1 with the shell version,
the only big difference being that revision lists are handled by a class
RevisionList. At this point, I did not bother refactoring code or changing
structure too much, it can be done in followups if there is interest to
maintain and work on this Python version.

- It's lightly tested. Testing and bugreports are welcome :)

- It's supposedly feature-complete, there is only one thing missing which has
to do with old svnmerge versions (see "TODO" in the code).

- I changed license because I tend to use GPL by default in everything I write.
But if there is a serious problem with this (?), I'm open to discussion.

- I purposedly avoid newest Python features. Theoritically it should work on
any Python 2.0+, but I haven't tested it. I believe it is important for such a
tool to work on as many systems as possible. And really, for 600 lines of code,
I can live without generators or a decorators.

I believe that if there is agreement that we want to go this way, we could
commit this to the repository and start working on there. I have 2-3
refactoring patches in mind I would like to do.

Thanks,
Giovanni Bajo