[Svnmerge] bidirectional merges

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Apr 1 20:37:53 PDT 2009

Ted Stern wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently started using Subversion.  I had waited to do conversions
> from my old CVS repository because I wanted merge tracking.
>
> I've found that the default Subversion merge tracking is problematic,
> and for now I've settled on using svnmerge.py instead.  It is much
> more stable, works with the various installation versions of
> Subversion that I have to deal with, and handles bidirectional
> merging.  I only wish that the Subversion developers had followed your
> model in 1.5.
>
> I have a couple of questions about svnmerge, which I will separate
> into two threads.
>
> First, bidirectional merges:
>
> I'm working on a small project, and one of the other developers and I
> sync frequently from each other's work.  In this case, it would be
> useful to do bidirectional merges exclusively.
>
> Is there a way to store some sort of bidirectional tag in the
> svnmerge-integrated property so that I don't have to add the
> --bidirectional (-b) flag every time I run 'svnmerge.py merge ...'?

The most recent versions of svnmerge.py automatically figure out of a merge is
needed, so -b is not strictly necessary.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge/svnmerge.py

r29665 | rocketraman | 2008-03-01 16:24:27 -0800 (Sat, 01 Mar 2008) | 17 lines

Eliminate need for --bidirectional flag. Detect sources that
have integration info for the target, and automatically enable
reflected rev detection in this case. The automatic detection is
skipped if --bidirectional is explicitly set.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/